turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I still eligible for the $3000 per child , from the 3rd stimulus check .... if I already filed my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Am I still eligible for the $3000 per child , from the 3rd stimulus check .... if I already filed my taxes

The details of the third stimulus are still being worked out. Here is information about the third stimulus. You are eligible for these things even if you have already filed your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You were getting two different provisions of the new American Rescue plan law mixed up.

First, there is a $1400 per person stimulus payment, that includes dependents.  The IRS has not announced how they will pay this yet.

Second, there is an expanded child tax credit. This takes effect July 1, and is to be paid directly to taxpayers monthly, or as often as the IRS can make practical, rather than having it included on any tax returns. The IRS has also not released any information about how they plan to make these payments.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The stimulus link provided by pattif12 also includes information on the expanded child tax credit.

Expanded Child Tax Credit

Starting in tax year 2021, the Plan increases the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 to:

• $3,600 for each child under 6
  • $3,000 for each child age 6–17

It also makes the credit fully refundable, meaning you’ll be eligible to get it even if you don’t owe taxes.

Starting in July, payments for the Credit will be sent in advance so you won’t have to wait to file your 2021 taxes to receive that amount.

You don’t have to do anything to get these payments. The IRS will likely determine eligibility based on your most recent tax filing.

In particular, getting the new (expanded) child tax credit has nothing to do with filing your 2020 tax return. Whether you already filed, file now or file later, the additional money will not be part of your 2020 tax refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies