turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife claims she paid a IRS Leon over a year ago but continues to get bills a year later.Is this possible to still get bills on a paid lien from IRS a year later?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife claims she paid a IRS Leon over a year ago but continues to get bills a year later.Is this possible to still get bills on a paid lien from IRS a year later?

She can contact the place where she purchased the money order and ask them to trace it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Does she have banking /credit card records to show that the payment was made?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Or do you mean her Federal refund was seized to pay a back debt?
Carl
Level 15

Your reference of "IRS Lien" is unclear. Are you saying your refunds in past years were garnished to pay an unpaid debt, such as an unpaid student loan? Please be specific so we can better provide you useful guidance on this stuff. If a lender put a lien on your tax refund, yet you paid off the debt directly to the lender, it's perfectly possible the lender did not report the payoff to the IRS. Therefore the IRS is still garnishing your refunds to pay the debt which the IRS does not know you already paid off.
Carl
Level 15

Your reference of "IRS Lien" is unclear. Are you saying your refunds in past years were garnished to pay an unpaid debt, such as an unpaid student loan? Please be specific so we can better provide you useful guidance on this stuff. If a lender put a lien on your tax refund, yet you paid off the debt directly to the lender, it's perfectly possible the lender did not report the payoff to the IRS. Therefore the IRS is still garnishing your refunds to pay the debt which the IRS does not know you already paid off.
Carl
Level 15

Also, when there's a lein on your tax refund, the IRS does not send you a bill for that. The only thing the IRS will bill you for, will be unpaid taxes, as well as any fines, penalties and late fees that may have been assessed on those unpaid taxes.

It's a bill for unpaid taxes that she claims she paid with money order a year ago.

"She claims..."  that kind of implies you do not believe her.....
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

She can contact the place where she purchased the money order and ask them to trace it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies