turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdrevie

How do I report medical expenses I pay for a non-dependent parent with 100% Alzheimer's living in long term care? .

Summary of our costs

$15600 = Her retirement income
$13200 = our contribution
$!4400 = VA Widows compensation
$43200 = Total annual costs of Alzheimer's facility

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

How do I report medical expenses I pay for a non-dependent parent with 100% Alzheimer's living in long term care? .

A little more info:

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
  • He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2017,
  • He or she filed a joint return for 2017, or.
  • You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2017 return.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Medical expenses for those not your dependent are not deductible.
MichaelDC

A little more info:

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
  • He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2017,
  • He or she filed a joint return for 2017, or.
  • You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2017 return.
Carl
Level 15

I'd like to bookmark the IRS pub for that, if you have it please. Thanks!
MichaelDC

Pub 502, page 10 and bottom of page 3
Carl
Level 15

Cool! Thanks!

However, you still must be able to claim the person as a dependent except for those exceptions.   The requirement that you pay more the  half the persons total support would seem to be the killer here.    Because the parent has $20,000 of his/her own income and the facility cost is $43,000 then the $13,200 that the OP pays is much less than the required "more than half" of support.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MichaelDC

Good point. Though, there may be more to the parent's support than stated. Thanks

You can claim her medical expenses if you provide over one half of her support in 2017.

In that event, she would be considered your medical dependent.

Support Includes

·        Food

·        Clothing

·        Shelter

·        Transportation

·        Education

·        Medical/Dental

·        Recreation

See IRS Support Worksheet

Carl
Level 15

There's no such thing (that I'm aware of) as a "medical dependent". Either they are a dependent, or they are not. Is there something I'm not aware of possibly?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies