RGlevey

2017 Federal Installment Payment made in 2019

I made my last 2017 Federal Tax installment payment on Jan. 8, 2019 for $1,415.57. Am I able to use this as a deduction for my 2019 Tax Return? If yes, where would I record it on my return. 

Federal payments for prior tax years are not deductible on the federal return ... however a couple of states will allow the deduction so watch for it in the state interview. 

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.