turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s_042620

1099misc Insurance Premium Reimbursement for disabled daughter. This is not a business and TT takes me to a screen to enter business deductions. Please Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099misc Insurance Premium Reimbursement for disabled daughter. This is not a business and TT takes me to a screen to enter business deductions. Please Help!

You can report it as other income on Sch 1  line 21. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

·         Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)

·         Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)

·         On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."

·         Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."

·         On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."

·         The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.

·         On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.

·         On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Form 1040 line 21 with the description that you entered.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can report it as other income on Sch 1  line 21. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

·         Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)

·         Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)

·         On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."

·         Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."

·         On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."

·         The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.

·         On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.

·         On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Form 1040 line 21 with the description that you entered.

edf1

This response totally missed the problem. Insurance premium reimbursements on 1099-misc are not business related. TTax does not address this correctly. And this response did not help.

Why?  Critter answered to enter it as Other Income not as Business.  

Also This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

@edf1 wrote:

This response totally missed the problem. Insurance premium reimbursements on 1099-misc are not business related. TTax does not address this correctly. And this response did not help.

If you have this same problem you will need to provide details specific to your case.  Insurance premium reimbursements may or may not be taxable depending on the circumstances, and how to correctly enter the income (if taxable) or what to do with an incorrect 1099, will also depend on the specific circumstances.  

Manage cookies