Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsp56
Returning Member

1099-MISC

I received a 1099-misc for reimbursement of job interview expenses.  An amount was entered into box 7 on the form.  I took a job with this company.  Turbo tax is wanting me to file Schedule C for business expenses when I do not have a business.    What is the proper way to show  this amount on the 1099-Misc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC

Here are the steps:

Open up your program,

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1099misc" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099misc
  • Follow prompts 
  • On-screen, "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?"  Select None of these apply
  • On-screen, "Did this job involve work that's like your main job?"  Select No
  • Next screen, "How often did you get income for this job?"  Only check You got it in 2019
  • Next screen, "Did this job involve an intent to earn money?"  Select No

Note that, the job interview reimbursement is not self-employed.  This is a workaround so this income is treated as ordinary income, not self-employed income.  Continue to read for importance:

When you receive a Form 1099-MISC, the IRS will be receiving a copy as well.  Most of the time, IRS treats taxpayers who receive a Form 1099-MISC as business-related thus self-employed.  You are required to pay the self-employed taxes.  If you received this form only once in a while for some work unrelated to your main job, or if you receive it as an award or prize, you would not be treated as self--employed.  If you will be receiving it ongoing in the future, you are self-employed and will need to file a Schedule C.  With that being said, if your employer continues to issue you a Form 1099-MISC for your job, you will be considered as self-employed and required to file a Schedule C to pay self-employed tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maggiebn
Returning Member

1099-MISC

I'm a life insurance agent and I receive several 1099 misc box 7 (nonemployee income) from the carriers.  Do I enter this in turbo tax under "business income" or "personal income"?  

I also received 1099 box 3 "other income" , does this belong to personal income?  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC

@maggiebn All of your box 7 income is considered business income to go on the Schedule C. It goes all together on your one business return. Enter them from inside the business section.

The box 3 is probably personal income and that would not go on the business return. Enter it outside of the business section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies