turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

10% out of PUA

The American Rescue Plan Act recently introduced a plan to refund the taxes people paid for unemployment benefits during 2020, I opted to take 10% out of each check towards taxes out of my benefits... will I receive that 10% for every check back to me? Will I be refunded? I paid over $900 in taxes because I opted in to 10% being withheld.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

10% out of PUA

Did you already file your tax return?

Here is why you do NOT amend your return for unemployment:

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

If you have not yet filed your tax return then prepare your return and enter your 1099G ---then let the software do its job.   The software will calculate how much--if any--of your unemployment is taxable.   If you paid too much tax on your 2020 income then you will get a tax refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

10% out of PUA

My question is if I will be refunded the 10% that was taken out of every check I received from my unemployment benefits... I opted in to have 10% of federal taxes withheld from every check I received

10% out of PUA

You will not necessary get back every cent that was withheld from unemployment.   Your tax liability is based upon the total amount  of income you received in 2020 and on how much tax you paid in 2020.   So...maybe you will get it all back or maybe just some of it.   We cannot see your tax return.  We do not know what other income you had or how much tax you had withheld from any other income you received.   And...we do not know if the tax you had withheld was only for federal or also for your state....nor do we know what state you are in.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies