Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in Kentucky but worked all over Tennessee, and other states

I had no real address but last year but base was Kentucky. I worked in Tennessee,Ohio, Florida. What am I to do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your tax home is Kentucky.  To understand what this term means, click on this link: TurboTax FAQ

What this means is that, while you claim all of your income as a Kentucky resident, you can also claim significant deductions (in all likelihood) for the time you were away from your tax home (the metro area in Kentucky where you are based).  As a Kentucky resident, the bad news is that all of your income must be claimed (and taxed) by Kentucky.  However, the deductions you claim should substantially lower this. 

To claim these deductions, you will want to see all you can claim by using the following link to What Travel Expenses are Deductible? from IRS Pub. 463.  A lot of information, perhaps, but well worth your effort as it could mean substantial tax savings.

To claim these deductions you will need to use Form 2106, which you can find in TurboTax using this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418.  (If you choose to use this form, you will not be able to use the Free Edition, but it should be worth the investment).

For the state returns, you will have only two:  a Kentucky resident return and an Ohio nonresident reciprocal return.  Your work done in Ohio is only taxed in Kentucky, so if you paid Ohio tax you will get it all back.  Tennessee and Florida do not have state tax, and no return is required for either.

You may have more questions to figure out exactly what to enter.  Please reach out to us and we will be happy to assist.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your tax home is Kentucky.  To understand what this term means, click on this link: TurboTax FAQ

What this means is that, while you claim all of your income as a Kentucky resident, you can also claim significant deductions (in all likelihood) for the time you were away from your tax home (the metro area in Kentucky where you are based).  As a Kentucky resident, the bad news is that all of your income must be claimed (and taxed) by Kentucky.  However, the deductions you claim should substantially lower this. 

To claim these deductions, you will want to see all you can claim by using the following link to What Travel Expenses are Deductible? from IRS Pub. 463.  A lot of information, perhaps, but well worth your effort as it could mean substantial tax savings.

To claim these deductions you will need to use Form 2106, which you can find in TurboTax using this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418.  (If you choose to use this form, you will not be able to use the Free Edition, but it should be worth the investment).

For the state returns, you will have only two:  a Kentucky resident return and an Ohio nonresident reciprocal return.  Your work done in Ohio is only taxed in Kentucky, so if you paid Ohio tax you will get it all back.  Tennessee and Florida do not have state tax, and no return is required for either.

You may have more questions to figure out exactly what to enter.  Please reach out to us and we will be happy to assist.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
akasper

so Daniel, as an employer in TN (only) with employees in KY it seems i should be deducting withholding taxes but not unemployment taxes. correct?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies