turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I received unemployment from NJ as that is where I worked but I live in NY. Do I need to file both NY & NJ state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Hi, I received unemployment from NJ as that is where I worked but I live in NY. Do I need to file both NY & NJ state taxes?

You will only file a NY return.  The NJ unemployment income is considered New York income if you received it while living in New York.  (All income you receive while living in New York is taxable in New York).  However, even if the unemployment were considered as taxable to NJ, NJ does not tax unemployment.  Please see this website for more information:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit12.shtml

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Did you work in NJ at all last year?

No i did not work in NJ at all last year.

Thank you for your help.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You will only file a NY return.  The NJ unemployment income is considered New York income if you received it while living in New York.  (All income you receive while living in New York is taxable in New York).  However, even if the unemployment were considered as taxable to NJ, NJ does not tax unemployment.  Please see this website for more information:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit12.shtml

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies