turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in Virginia, but my employer is from New-York and he pay the state tax in New-York. What can I do in this situation? How can I return state tax from NY and pay it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I work in Virginia, but my employer is from New-York and he pay the state tax in New-York. What can I do in this situation? How can I return state tax from NY and pay it

You will have to file a non-resident/part-year resident NY tax return to get a refund of the NY tax withheld by your employer. You will also have to file a VA resident tax return, and pay VA tax on the income you earned working in VA.

You are only subject to tax from your state of residence and, if applicable, any other state/s where you physically performed work. In the Personal interview, do not select "Earned money in another state in 2016."

You should prepare your non-resident tax return (NY) before your resident tax return (VA). This way, you may be able to get the NY refund in time to use it to pay your VA taxes. The state tax interviews (NY and VA) will allow you to allocate your income - all to VA, none to NY . 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You will have to file a non-resident/part-year resident NY tax return to get a refund of the NY tax withheld by your employer. You will also have to file a VA resident tax return, and pay VA tax on the income you earned working in VA.

You are only subject to tax from your state of residence and, if applicable, any other state/s where you physically performed work. In the Personal interview, do not select "Earned money in another state in 2016."

You should prepare your non-resident tax return (NY) before your resident tax return (VA). This way, you may be able to get the NY refund in time to use it to pay your VA taxes. The state tax interviews (NY and VA) will allow you to allocate your income - all to VA, none to NY . 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies