turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b4523

My wife and I lived 9 months of 2016 in TN and then last 3 months in Iowa. For state tax purposes, do we file two different state returns?

TN has no real state income tax; Iowa does.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My wife and I lived 9 months of 2016 in TN and then last 3 months in Iowa. For state tax purposes, do we file two different state returns?

You will file a part-year resident Iowa tax return.

In the Personal Interview:

1. Enter Iowa as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;

2. Answer "Yes" when asked "Did you live in another state in 2016?" That would be Tennessee.

The program should prompt you to prepare the Iowa return and you'll have an opportunity to allocate your income and deductions between the two states (Iowa and Tennessee)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ToddL

Did you move to Iowa permanently and are you working there?
b4523

Yes, I am
b4523

I should say that I worked in 2016 in Iowa; my wife didn't start working here until 2017
ToddL

You will file a part-year resident Iowa tax return.

In the Personal Interview:

1. Enter Iowa as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;

2. Answer "Yes" when asked "Did you live in another state in 2016?" That would be Tennessee.

The program should prompt you to prepare the Iowa return and you'll have an opportunity to allocate your income and deductions between the two states (Iowa and Tennessee)

b4523

Thanks for the answer; very helpful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies