turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpratt57

If you lived in New Jersey for 7 mos and only lived in Florida for 5 mos can I only file for New Jersey or do I still have to file for Florida too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you lived in New Jersey for 7 mos and only lived in Florida for 5 mos can I only file for New Jersey or do I still have to file for Florida too?

You will file a part-year NJ resident return.  You will not need to file a Florida return because Florida does not have a state income tax on wages.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mpratt57

So I don't need to file a Florida federal return this year, just a new jersey federal and state return for this year because I lived in New Jersey longer right??
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It really has nothing to do with how long you lived in New Jersey.  Florida doesn't have an income tax return.  What appears as a Florida return in TurboTax is not needed by 99 percent of the population.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Also, the Federal return is your return to the United States government.  That return includes all of your income regardless of which state (or even country) you earned it in.
mpratt57

So even though I worked in Florida for 5 mos and received a w-2, I don't need to file it, just file it in 2019 right?
mpratt57

So even though I worked in Florida for 5 mos and received a w-2, I don't need to file it, just file it in 2019 right?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You need to file the income for your U.S return this year.  However, this income is not included in your New Jersey return, and you do not need to file a Florida return at all.  But income earned in 2017 is reported in the tax return you are now preparing.
mpratt57

I thank you so very much! You have been most helpful!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You will file a part-year NJ resident return.  You will not need to file a Florida return because Florida does not have a state income tax on wages.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies