Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in IN work KY. I'm not getting credit for the KY tax (W-2) on my IN taxes (reciprocal states). Do I need to file KY tax or is there a problem with TT software?

I live in Indiana but work in Kentucky.  I entered all of this information in the software and completed the state tax information for Indiana.  I don't seem to be getting credit for the state tax (W-2 income only) paid to Kentucky for my Indiana taxes (they are reciprocal states).  Do I need to file Kentucky state tax or is there a problem with the TurboTax software program?  My W-2 shows the tax was paid to Kentucky and that is how I entered it into the program. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in IN work KY. I'm not getting credit for the KY tax (W-2) on my IN taxes (reciprocal states). Do I need to file KY tax or is there a problem with TT software?

You need to file a KY nonresident reciprocal return.  Because Indiana and Kentucky are reciprocal states, Indiana does not give you a credit for taxes you pay to Kentucky, because you should not pay state taxes to Kentucky.  Indiana does provide a credit for local taxes you may pay to Kentucky, but KY local taxes withheld on a W-2 are not reconciled on a KY state return, and refunds are not issued.  (I'll get back to this at the end of the answer).

The first screenshot below is to show the residency selection you need for the KY reciprocal return.  Keep in mind that this return is correct if all of your earnings in KY were wages paid on a W-2.  If you have rental or self-employment income, you will be required to file a KY nonresident return and pay KY tax on that income, but your question suggests your only KY income are paid wages.  Also, if KY state tax were not withheld (as what really should be the case), then you would not need to file a KY return at all.  This does mean, however, that you will owe Indiana the full tax.  You can correct this, however, by filing form 42A809 (click on link for form), so that only Indiana state tax is withheld.  That way in the future it will not be necessary to "rob Peter in order to pay Paul" so to speak.

The following screenshot then shows the trigger screen for how to claim the KY local tax withheld as a credit on your Indiana return.  Indiana counties tax you whether you work or live in the county, and KY localities tax you when you work there.  To reduce double-taxation, Indiana allows this local tax credit as part of the state return.  Please note all of the screenshots below:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
co8regi

Can you provide the screen shots????

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies