turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chanch241

I'm a student filing MA resident and NY nonresident."Did u allocate ur income to NY based on the volume of business transacted?" I don't understand this q or follow ups.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm a student filing MA resident and NY nonresident."Did u allocate ur income to NY based on the volume of business transacted?" I don't understand this q or follow ups.

You may not need to enter anything in those screens.  It does depend, but if the income reported to you for NY was all earned in NY, you don't need to allocate, or split, any of the income between NY and another state.  This question has nothing to do with the income being reported as taxable in MA.  But if your NY employer sent you to work in Connecticut, for instance, the income you earned in Connecticut would still be reported on your W2.  When this happens, the NY income is allocated because not all that is reported in NY is taxable in NY.  In your case that's probably not the situation, and you should be able to delete any entries in those screens.  Comment if you need any assistance with this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You may not need to enter anything in those screens.  It does depend, but if the income reported to you for NY was all earned in NY, you don't need to allocate, or split, any of the income between NY and another state.  This question has nothing to do with the income being reported as taxable in MA.  But if your NY employer sent you to work in Connecticut, for instance, the income you earned in Connecticut would still be reported on your W2.  When this happens, the NY income is allocated because not all that is reported in NY is taxable in NY.  In your case that's probably not the situation, and you should be able to delete any entries in those screens.  Comment if you need any assistance with this.

chanch241

The income was earned entirely in NY, but one W2 is listed to my MA address.
This means that in response to that question "Did you allocate based on the volume of business" and the follow up question, "Do you need to fill out a nonresident business allocation schedule" it is no to both?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct.  You don't need those forms.  The MA address on the W2 doesn't affect anything in this case.
chanch241

Thank you!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
Feestro09

I have the same issue. But mine is opposite I reside in PA and worked one day in NY . On line 16 it shows all my income from pa and ny . My question I’ve been having a hard time with is when reporting my taxes am I putting for example 5,000 for state wages or am I putting the $650 I earned ONLY in NY .?? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies