Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved multiple times in New York State this year. How do I file that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I moved multiple times in New York State this year. How do I file that?

You may have moved around within the state of New York several times during the year, but did you always keep your permanent residence somewhere in-state for the whole year?  If you did, then you're still a full-year New York resident, and will file your tax return as such.

The only potential complication that could arise is if you lived and worked within New York City itself, or in Yonkers.  Those two cities, you see, levy their own income tax, which is then layered on top of the New York State income tax.  This won't affect you at all though, if your multiple moves involved say, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, etc. (anything but NYC and Yonkers).

But, if you did move in and out of NYC or Yonkers, then you may need to count the actual number of days you lived and worked in these places, for purposes of completing your New York state tax return.  Your federal program, and how you input your taxpayer information there, won't be affected.

TurboTax does a really good job of capturing this information for New York, although you do have to be especially careful (and accurate) when answering the state-level questions in order to have the software calculate any NYC or Yonkers taxes correctly.

If you have further questions, encounter any difficulties, or just want to speak with a live tax expert who can walk you through your TurboTax entries (including the ability to screen-share with your computer), please feel free to contact us.  We would be happy to help you (and as a paying TurboTax customer, the call is free to you).  Published below are instructions on how to create a support ticket and reach us.

Thank you for asking this question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies