Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

molly960

I will be filing my mom's taxes who is chronically ill and living in assisted living. Is there anything I need to get from her doctor in order for her to qualify for assisted living deductions

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtS

I will be filing my mom's taxes who is chronically ill and living in assisted living. Is there anything I need to get from her doctor in order for her to qualify for assisted living deductions

You do not need anything to file, but you should make sure you have the documentation in case of an audit. In your case it should be pretty easy: the place where your mom is living should be able to provide any documentation that you might need as far as the dates, costs, etc. The one other thing that you should keep copies of are the records of all medications, doctors visits, private-duty nursing costs, podiatrist visits to the place where your mom is, etc. Often an assisted living facility will bring in these service providers that treat the residents and you may not be aware of it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KurtS

You do not need anything to file, but you should make sure you have the documentation in case of an audit. In your case it should be pretty easy: the place where your mom is living should be able to provide any documentation that you might need as far as the dates, costs, etc. The one other thing that you should keep copies of are the records of all medications, doctors visits, private-duty nursing costs, podiatrist visits to the place where your mom is, etc. Often an assisted living facility will bring in these service providers that treat the residents and you may not be aware of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies