turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pyceledon

I understand there is a Solar Energy credit for purchase of Solar equipment. Does taxpayer get a Solar CREDIT if he leases the solar equipment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I understand there is a Solar Energy credit for purchase of Solar equipment. Does taxpayer get a Solar CREDIT if he leases the solar equipment?

You are eligible for the Federal credit as long as you own your solar energy system, rather than lease it. If you sign a lease agreement, the third-party owner gets the solar tax credit associated with the system.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You are eligible for the Federal credit as long as you own your solar energy system, rather than lease it. If you sign a lease agreement, the third-party owner gets the solar tax credit associated with the system.

sjball605

There is no Federal tax credit for leased solar systems. However, some States/Counties give a one time tax credit for leased solar systems. As not all States/counties give this credit, your best bet is to check directly with your county tax office.

The State/county I live in requires you to complete and submit a tax credit request form to their finance office. If approved they will send you back the tax credit information you need to file.

There is a section on your state taxes to add State or local tax refunds/credits.

PrinceA

Typically that credit is allowed to get filled once the Residential area has completed their Energy Efficient Improvement. For more information please click this IRS link that goes into depth.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies