turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gosalh

State Withholding taken twice from paycheck

Hello, i'm new to the USA (originally British) and recently moved to Maryland and started a new job in Virginia. Looking at my first paycheck, looks like i've been double taxed on the State Withholding - taxed by the States of Maryland and Virginia. My employer has fixed this now apparently.

How would i claim back the tax that the State of Virginia took from me? Would i need to complete something called a Non-Resident tax return? And can i do this within Turbotax myself?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file a Form 763-S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim For Individual Income Tax Withheld.  When you indicate that you are a resident of Maryland but worked in Virginia, and your Form W-2 has Virginia Taxes Withheld, TurboTax will walk you through the preparation of this form.

You will need to print and mail Form 763-S with your Form W-2 attached showing the Virginia withholding.  You will receive the entire amount of your Virginia withholding back since you were a resident of Maryland.

Maryland and Virginia have a reciprocal agreement, which means you pay taxes in the state where you *live*, not to the state where you work.  This is a very common situation for residents of Maryland and Virginia.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file a Form 763-S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim For Individual Income Tax Withheld.  When you indicate that you are a resident of Maryland but worked in Virginia, and your Form W-2 has Virginia Taxes Withheld, TurboTax will walk you through the preparation of this form.

You will need to print and mail Form 763-S with your Form W-2 attached showing the Virginia withholding.  You will receive the entire amount of your Virginia withholding back since you were a resident of Maryland.

Maryland and Virginia have a reciprocal agreement, which means you pay taxes in the state where you *live*, not to the state where you work.  This is a very common situation for residents of Maryland and Virginia.

Hello, 

Regarding below,  If I file 763-S for Virginia, once I get refund from Virginia, how do I pay back to Maryland. I was thinking Turbo tax would take care of Maryland State tax, since I'm a resident of MD, but work at Virginia/Employer and tax is withheld as Virginia. Please advise as Turbo tax, says I need to file 763-S, but doesnt say if I need to pay to Maryland Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies