turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carriewf

I live in NY. I earned $250 doing a consulting project for CA- based company. No taxes were withheld from the $250. Do I have to file a CA state income tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I live in NY. I earned $250 doing a consulting project for CA- based company. No taxes were withheld from the $250. Do I have to file a CA state income tax return?

Yes, you have to file a CA income tax return. 

Per CA Department of Revenue: You are required to file a Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Long or Short Form 540NR) with California if you have income from California sources.

Compensation: Wages and salaries have a source where the services are performed. The source of this income is not affected by either of the following:

• The location of the employer where the payment is issued
  • Your location when you receive payment
  • Nonresidents of California are Taxed only on income from California sources.

Related information:

[Edited 03.22.20 | 3:24 pm]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you have to file a CA income tax return. 

Per CA Department of Revenue: You are required to file a Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Long or Short Form 540NR) with California if you have income from California sources.

Compensation: Wages and salaries have a source where the services are performed. The source of this income is not affected by either of the following:

• The location of the employer where the payment is issued
  • Your location when you receive payment
  • Nonresidents of California are Taxed only on income from California sources.

Related information:

[Edited 03.22.20 | 3:24 pm]

carriewf

thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies