turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jade732

Is interest earned on US savings bonds exempt if used to open 3 individual 529 plans (as the owner) for my grandkids (beneficiaries)? If so, how do I enter into Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Is interest earned on US savings bonds exempt if used to open 3 individual 529 plans (as the owner) for my grandkids (beneficiaries)? If so, how do I enter into Turbotax?

Yes. Savings bonds cashed for education qualify for the interest exclusion. Depositing money into a 529 plan counts as "used for higher education". After entering the 1099-INT (with an amount in box 3), the Turbotax (TT) interview will ask "Did you use the U S Savings Bonds to pay higher education expenses?". Answer yes.

The next screen will verify that your particular bonds qualify. Then you will be asked details about the amounts, your student-beneficiary and the name of the Educational Institution (in your case the 529 plan)

There are AGI limits for doing this. (https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/planning/plan_education.htm)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Interest paid to a QTP (such as 529) qualifies for exemption. Look for that option in questions following 1099-INT entry.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. Savings bonds cashed for education qualify for the interest exclusion. Depositing money into a 529 plan counts as "used for higher education". After entering the 1099-INT (with an amount in box 3), the Turbotax (TT) interview will ask "Did you use the U S Savings Bonds to pay higher education expenses?". Answer yes.

The next screen will verify that your particular bonds qualify. Then you will be asked details about the amounts, your student-beneficiary and the name of the Educational Institution (in your case the 529 plan)

There are AGI limits for doing this. (https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/planning/plan_education.htm)

BOONIEBOY

529s are not considered Cloverleaf plans or qualified tuition plans. Turbo tax does not list 529 Plans as option for contributions. How are 529s handled?
Hal_Al
Level 15

A 529 plan is a Qualified tuition plan (QTP). The two terms are synonymous.  A Coverdell Educational savings account (ESA) is some thing different.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies