turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wingj1

In 2016, i worked and lived in maine for 9 months and i moved permanently and have been working and residing in az. Do I file in both states?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

In 2016, i worked and lived in maine for 9 months and i moved permanently and have been working and residing in az. Do I file in both states?

Yes.  In your self-described situation, you will be both a part-year Maine resident, and a part-year Arizona resident, for income tax filing purposes in 2016.  If you keep your home in Arizona for all of 2017, then next year you will file as a full-year Arizona resident.

Certainly, federal income taxes are the same, wherever you live and work (as long as it's in one of the fifty states or Washington D.C.), so you'll always just have one federal tax return to file.

That being said, if your move was "clean" in the sense that you lived and worked in Maine, but did not receive wage income from Arizona until you moved (i.e., changed your tax home), then your state tax situation should be relatively straightforward, and TurboTax will handle it neatly.  You'll just file AZ and ME part-year state returns, with your appropriate W-2 income (or 1099-MISC if you are self-employed).  If, however, you received Arizona (or other) state income while still a Maine resident, then things can get a bit more complicated -- although TurboTax is certainly capably of handling that contingency.

In that instance, we would recommend talking with one of our live tax agents first, before you begin your state returns.  But, if your state situation is as orderly as it seems it might be, in the sense of a clear demarcation between AZ and ME income, then you should be able to easily accomplish what you need to do, in TurboTax, by carefully following the instructions as you begin and proceed through the program.

Also, don't forget to include your moving expenses in the Deductions section of TurboTax (unless your employer paid for the full cost of your move), as this can help lower your income taxes even if you do not otherwise itemize your other deductions.

Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us, if necessary:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this important question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Yes.  In your self-described situation, you will be both a part-year Maine resident, and a part-year Arizona resident, for income tax filing purposes in 2016.  If you keep your home in Arizona for all of 2017, then next year you will file as a full-year Arizona resident.

Certainly, federal income taxes are the same, wherever you live and work (as long as it's in one of the fifty states or Washington D.C.), so you'll always just have one federal tax return to file.

That being said, if your move was "clean" in the sense that you lived and worked in Maine, but did not receive wage income from Arizona until you moved (i.e., changed your tax home), then your state tax situation should be relatively straightforward, and TurboTax will handle it neatly.  You'll just file AZ and ME part-year state returns, with your appropriate W-2 income (or 1099-MISC if you are self-employed).  If, however, you received Arizona (or other) state income while still a Maine resident, then things can get a bit more complicated -- although TurboTax is certainly capably of handling that contingency.

In that instance, we would recommend talking with one of our live tax agents first, before you begin your state returns.  But, if your state situation is as orderly as it seems it might be, in the sense of a clear demarcation between AZ and ME income, then you should be able to easily accomplish what you need to do, in TurboTax, by carefully following the instructions as you begin and proceed through the program.

Also, don't forget to include your moving expenses in the Deductions section of TurboTax (unless your employer paid for the full cost of your move), as this can help lower your income taxes even if you do not otherwise itemize your other deductions.

Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us, if necessary:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this important question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies