turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k215n

My 15 yr old daughter had $87.24 withheld for state taxes, they did not withhold any federal tax, can she just file a state form to get that back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 15 yr old daughter had $87.24 withheld for state taxes, they did not withhold any federal tax, can she just file a state form to get that back?

Yes, however, TurboTax will require that you prepare a federal return first, because the state information flows out of the federal return. Since you will not be filing a federal return, you will not be able to e-file the state return. In TurboTax when you are ready to file, select that you will print and mail both the state and federal returns. Then, only mail the state return.

Remember that in TurboTax online, each separate return requires a new account, although multiple accounts can share one email address for notification. Make sure to create a new separate account for your daughter. She should qualify to file for free. But does need a separate account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, however, TurboTax will require that you prepare a federal return first, because the state information flows out of the federal return. Since you will not be filing a federal return, you will not be able to e-file the state return. In TurboTax when you are ready to file, select that you will print and mail both the state and federal returns. Then, only mail the state return.

Remember that in TurboTax online, each separate return requires a new account, although multiple accounts can share one email address for notification. Make sure to create a new separate account for your daughter. She should qualify to file for free. But does need a separate account.
Manage cookies