turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working From Home in a Different State

So, I have lived in Virginia my whole life and went to college there. Before graduating, I got a job at a company in Northern Virginia that starts in September. However, I have family in California and I am currently living with them for now riding out this pandemic.

I got an email from my employer a few days ago that they will be doing optional work from home until the end of 2020. If I decide to stay in California until the end of 2020 and work here and then go back to Virginia in the beginning of 2021, which state tax do I pay? California or Virginia?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Working From Home in a Different State

Since your home state to which you intend to return is Virginia, and you are in California for a transient or temporary purpose only, for state tax purposes you are a resident of Virginia and a non-resident of California.

Residents of VA are taxed on ALL their income, regardless of its source.  Therefore your income in CA is taxable by VA.

Non-residents of CA are subject to CA taxation on their CA-source income.  Income you earn by actually working in CA is CA-source income.  Therefore your income in CA is also taxable by CA. 

So you will have to file a non-resident CA tax return in addition to your home state VA tax return.

CA and VA are "reverse-credit" states*.  That means that you may take a credit on your CA return for the taxes you pay to VA on the same income, so you won't be double-taxed.

*Normally in these situations the resident state allows a credit for taxes paid to the non-resident state. In the case of CA and VA, it is the non-resident state that allows the credit.  Hence the term "reverse credit".

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies