turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working an internship this summer in a state different from my state of residency. Do I complete a state W4 for my state of residency, or the state I will be working in?

The two states do not have a reciprocal state tax agreement in place. 

I am claiming 0 exemptions and 0 withholding on my federal W4, if that changes anything as well. Just confused as to whether or not I complete state W4s for both my state of primary residency and the state I will be working in, or just one of the two. 

I am claiming the same amount of exemptions for both federal and state tax as well, so therefore, do I have to file the state withholding form at all?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Working an internship this summer in a state different from my state of residency. Do I complete a state W4 for my state of residency, or the state I will be working in?

Your employer will provide you with the correct state form to fill out for the state where you are working only  ... and you will need to file a non resident & resident state returns (complete them in that order in the TT program ) if you make enough to be required to file a state return.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies