Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Work in VA but residences in VA and DC

My permanent home is in DC.  Starting the beginning of this year, my employer transferred me to a two-year Virginia location which is too far to commute.  I have rented an apartment in VA and live there most of the time, surely > 183 days per year.  For tax purposes, how do I handle the two residences, which residence is used as the official filing address, which state should be withholding state taxes and which state tax returns should I be completing?  Thanks. 

2 Replies
Level 15

Work in VA but residences in VA and DC

You are still a DC resident and only need to file a DC return. Only DC withholding should be done.  DC & VA have a reciprocal agreement, so no VA tax is  required. 

Returning Member

Work in VA but residences in VA and DC

Thanks for your response, but I have received conflicting information that says if I spend more than 183 days per year in Virginia that makes me a VA resident in the eyes of VA's tax law and, therefore, makes me subject to VA state taxes.  In prior years, when I worked at a VA location to which I commuted daily from DC, I leveraged the reciprocal agreement.  I just want to clarify my current state tax obligation now that I'm living in VA most of the time for work purposes, but still maintaining my DC home.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings