turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tatum5

Work from home in KS, employer in IL. Income taxed in IL even though I never lived or worked there. Now I owe KS a bunch of money! Do I get it back from IL?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Work from home in KS, employer in IL. Income taxed in IL even though I never lived or worked there. Now I owe KS a bunch of money! Do I get it back from IL?

You need to first talk to the employer and get this straightened out with the HR office.

None of your income should be taxed by IL.  You will need to get a letter from them stating that you lived and worked all year in KS, and then file an IL non-resident return with $0 income and get all the taxes paid in back from IL.

Then you will file a KS return and will owe KS taxes due to no taxes withheld.  I suggest you make estimated tax payments to KS so a year from now this does not happen again. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You need to first talk to the employer and get this straightened out with the HR office.

None of your income should be taxed by IL.  You will need to get a letter from them stating that you lived and worked all year in KS, and then file an IL non-resident return with $0 income and get all the taxes paid in back from IL.

Then you will file a KS return and will owe KS taxes due to no taxes withheld.  I suggest you make estimated tax payments to KS so a year from now this does not happen again. 

tatum5

Can this be done via TurboTax?  I don't see where I can change my income to $0 under the state filing.

IL should ask about adjustments to income and you need to entry an amount equal to the W-2 box 1 amount.  then an explanation will need to be attached to a paper filed return.
Manage cookies