Why won't TurboTax let me enter any DC College Sav...

kennahawes

Why won't TurboTax let me enter any DC College Savings Plan 529 contributions for 2019? I moved in 2019 but did contribute money to the 529 in 2019 as a DC resident.

SusanY1

You will enter this when you are working on the DC return (not in the federal entries).  As long as you are marked as at least a part-year resident, you will see the option on the page titled District of Columbia Subtractions - Click Start beside "DC college savings plan" - it should be the third from the bottom on this list.  

The very top of this page reads "Deductible Items in DC" - this may help you to spot it!

kennahawes

Thanks, Susan! The problem is actually occuring on that page of my DC "state" tax return -- when I go to enter my contribution on the Scchedule I form "Additions to and Subtractions from 2019 Federal Adjusted Gross Income," Turbotax will not let me enter any number and throws a popup saying, "Schedule I: College Savings Plan Payment cannot exceed income received while living out of DC."

But my 529 contributions in 2019 did exceed the amount I have made since moving out of state to start graduate school full-time.  Do you have any sense as to why I'm getting this error?

DaveF1006

Unless i am ready something entirely different and correct me if i  am wrong. Your error reads "Schedule I: College Savings Plan Payment cannot exceed income received while living out of DC." and you said my 529 contributions in 2019 did exceed the amount I have made since moving out of state to start graduate school full-time. This just means the contribution is disallowed based on those parameters and turbo Tax is alerting you of this fact.