turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my solar tax credit not taking my tax to zero?

We purchased a $12,000 solar system for our home. Our federal tax liability before I enter this deduction is $764. When I enter this deduction our tax liability is reduced -$690 and becomes $74, with a $2,910 credit to carry forward.   Why is the tax due not reduced to zero?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Open your form 1040 in Forms Mode.

Look at lines 57-to-67.  Those taxes are assessed no matter what your tax is on line 56.

For example, people with some Self-employment income...greater than $400, still have to pay SS&Medicare taxes. A 10% penalty for an early withdraw from a retirement fund, still have to pay that penalty.  But there are 10 lines of other stuff, as noted above.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Open your form 1040 in Forms Mode.

Look at lines 57-to-67.  Those taxes are assessed no matter what your tax is on line 56.

For example, people with some Self-employment income...greater than $400, still have to pay SS&Medicare taxes. A 10% penalty for an early withdraw from a retirement fund, still have to pay that penalty.  But there are 10 lines of other stuff, as noted above.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks! I am self employed and now realize where the tax liability was.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies