bretthardy

Why is electronic filing not supported when using Underpayment Statement MN form M15 ?

I have a non-zero amount in line 22 of MN Form M15 (Underpayment of Estimated Income Tax) and TT says electronic filing is not supported in this case for the state return. The TT check message says the return must be mailed. Is that really true? Is there no way to file my MN return electronically when using this form? Please respond ASAP.

ThomasM125

This means you have a penalty for late payment of tax. Evidently, Minnesota does not allow you to e-file your return when you have a penalty for late payment of tax. You can attempt to delete schedule M15, as the state will calculate your penalty if you don't list it on the return, as follows:

1. Tax tools (on the left menu bar)
  2. Tools
  3. Delete a form

Find schedule  M15 in the list and delete the form.

That may allow you to e-file the tax return.

ThomasM125

1. Tax tools (on the left menu bar)
  2. Tools
  3. Delete a form

bretthardy

Okay, thanks. Decided to file old school by mailing in the printed forms including the M15. Disappointing this form can't be submitted electronically when a balance is owed. 

bradmn

You stated that the underpayment penalty forces a hard copy return from the state of Minnesota - and that under that condition efile is not support by MN. I called the state of MN support line -  since I had this problem and that MN state rep. said it was supported by the state for efiling  - from that information it appears that it is a Turbo Tax issue regarding form M15.  Can you folks fix this in an update to the software??

I prefer  to file electronically (usually problem free ) with MN. I have had problems with hard copies, years ago, when filing a,hardcopy return. 

MNTaxPayer1

I also worked with both MN Dept of Revenue and with TurboTax.   MN DoRev reported in an increase in calls on this topic only associated with TurboTax and their support representatives have been alerted.   After a lengthy session with Turbo Tax Support, it was clear that this issue is a bug in the system for this particular scenario.  We tried a lot of work arounds like deleting files and finally one change (annualize SE taxes) allowed me to file electronically.   There was no clear root cause, we just stumbled upon a work around. Hopefully Turbo Tax tech can replicate this issue and implement a fix instead of requiring that the MN forms to be mailed in.

MNTaxPayer1

We tried this option of deleting the file at the suggestion of Turbo Tax support and it did not work.

LuAnn Larson

Hello,

I have already paid for my MN state return, but due to a 12.00 penalty I am unable to get through a loop. I have tried deleting the M-15 and it just comes back. Do you have any other suggestions?

JK741

This is NOT a fix.  Deleting forms is not a fix.  Turbo tax needs to do the work to get form M15 accepted when e-filing in Minnesota.  This problem has been around since 2019.  This is very poor service.

turns333

This is what I found worked to resolve this issue.  Go to form M15 and highlight the total penalty field.  Hit Ctrl D and replace the penalty amount with the number zero.  You will now be able to electronically file the tax return

MNTaxPayer1

Update.  The Turbotax solution allowed me to efile, but MN rejected the submission and TurboTax could not fix it.  Forced to send in the return by mail, however I did pay electronically directly to MN Dept of Revenue.  Disappointing experience.  This should be fixed.