Why do I have to pay $1600 in NC state tax when I only made $5040 in wages???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Maybe you had a LOT of other income...

But if not that...then go back to the Federal Wages&Incoem section, and edit any income forms you put in there.

An unexpectedly large state taxes owed indicates that you mis-entered your income on the state income lines on some form. 

An example would be double-keying a digit in boxes 15-to-17 on a W-2 form..... $5040...but you double-hit the zero and entered 50400 instead.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Maybe you had a LOT of other income...