Solved: Why are we having to do both a California and an Oregon state tax if my husband both lived and worked in Oregon while the kids and I live in California?

Why are we having to do both a California and an Oregon state tax if my husband both lived and worked in Oregon while the kids and I live in California?

No, you will not need to file a California return.  The reason why is there is no California income.  Oregon gives you the option to file joint or separate (you will file joint because you had no income, so this will maximize deductions and credits on the Oregon return), even though you did not live in Oregon.  

Home mortgage interest is not income but a deduction (part of itemized deductions), which subtracts from taxable income.  Oregon allows itemized deductions that are also allowed on the Federal Return (except for state taxes paid), so your mortgage interest will be allowable on the Oregon return as well.  You will not need a California return.

If TurboTax has generated a California return, you may delete it.  Please see this FAQ for more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

Two questions:  First, are you filing a joint return?  Second, did you earn income in California?

Joint return. Income only in Oregon, unless home   interest counts. I thought that was federal money tho