Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find the federal income tax after non-refundable credit on my 2014 tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where do I find the federal income tax after non-refundable credit on my 2014 tax form?

Form 1040 line 56, Form 1040A line 37, or Form 1040EZ line 10.

Thank you! Do you know if it is asking me to divide it between my husband and I depending on our ratio. Does that show anywhere on our 2014 tax forms? Or do I just have to guess?

and this amount is way smaller than the federal income tax withheld on our W-2 is that normal?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is what asking you to divide it? What are you trying to do? We can't see your screen.

It's normal for the total tax on your tax return to be less than the tax withheld on your W-2. That's why you get a refund. You had more tax withheld than you actually owe. However, you asked specifically about *income* tax. Before your refund is calculated, there could be other taxes added that technically are not income tax, but are still taken out of the tax you had withheld. There can also be refundable credits that are subtracted from your total tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies