Seagull

Where can I enter the earned income allocation on the AZ non-resident state return?

The Arizona non-resident state return (using Premier version) does not ask for allocated earned income (it only asks for allocated unearned income). My W-2 only shows residence state but the My Info section does have AZ listed as an additional income state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DanielV01

What is your state of residence?
Seagull

Illinois
DanielV01

Were you taxed in AZ on any of the wage income, or why should you be?
Seagull

I earned the wages in Arizona but only IL tax was withheld by my employer.
DanielV01

The screen to enter the wages is entitled Arizona Income and is found on the interview right after the information on dependents (right at the beginning of the interview).  I'm providing a screenshot at the bottom of this screen.  You may override the Arizona Amount to the amount that should be taxed in Arizona.  

Whatever Arizona taxes the income will transfer over to the Illinois return.  You will claim a credit for the tax you must pay to Arizona on the Illinois return, which should refund most if not all what Arizona will tax that income.

Seagull

How did you trigger that panel? The page that appears for me asks for Arizona Dividend and Interest Income but not Wages.
DanielV01

Start the AZ interview over from the beginning.  Delete the state and start over if you need to.  It was one of the first screens I encountered in the AZ return.
Seagull

Hmm.  I already tried that and it still didn't pop up.  Maybe it has to do with my filing status? I'm filing married joint return.
DanielV01

Filing status shouldn't matter.  My dummy account uses a W2 that has no AZ information in it and still produces that screen.  Make sure you have selected the Arizona nonresident return.  I can't see your return, unfortunately, so I can't see why your screen is not producing what I showed you above.  I too am using an online "dummy" account to prepare this.
Seagull

I checked and am using the Arizona nonresident return.  
DanielV01

Try one more thing, and you'll probably have to mail in your Arizona return if this works.  Delete the Arizona return again, go back to the W2 entries, and enter an AZ line after the IL line with AZ income in box 16.  Do not input any tax.  This should produce the income in AZ or at least the screen.  Then go back to the W2 and delete the line.  If that works (or at least the screen I mention is available), then you can re-enter the income for Arizona in the box.  Let me know.