hipatel3870

Well, I worked in ohio and texas in 2016 and then i moved to washington. Do I have to file state tax return for ohio and texas ?

Hal_Al

Answered in the comments

Texas does not have a state income tax.  If you worked in Ohio you will need to file for Ohio, though, for the part of the year that you were there.  Washington has no state income tax.
Hal_Al

Worked in and resident of (lived in ) are not the same thing. To get a more specific answer, you need to describe you residency status prior to moving to Washington.  And then it matters whether you moved to Washington state or Washington, DC. DC has an income tax; WA does not.

The general rule: you pay state income tax to your resident state on all income earned, while a resident, regardless of where earned. You pay income to a non resident state on income sourced (physically worked) there. Your resident state gives you a credit, or partial credit on income double taxed.

In other words, you do not get out of paying state income tax by working in a state without a tax, unless you legally change residency.

Thanks Hal_Al--I did not even think of DC--assumed the state of WA.
hipatel3870

Thank you much for your reply. Its Washington State.
Hal_Al

Answered in the comments