turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Well, I worked in ohio and texas in 2016 and then i moved to washington. Do I have to file state tax return for ohio and texas ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Well, I worked in ohio and texas in 2016 and then i moved to washington. Do I have to file state tax return for ohio and texas ?

Answered in the comments

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Texas does not have a state income tax.  If you worked in Ohio you will need to file for Ohio, though, for the part of the year that you were there.  Washington has no state income tax.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Worked in and resident of (lived in ) are not the same thing. To get a more specific answer, you need to describe you residency status prior to moving to Washington.  And then it matters whether you moved to Washington state or Washington, DC. DC has an income tax; WA does not.

The general rule: you pay state income tax to your resident state on all income earned, while a resident, regardless of where earned. You pay income to a non resident state on income sourced (physically worked) there. Your resident state gives you a credit, or partial credit on income double taxed.

In other words, you do not get out of paying state income tax by working in a state without a tax, unless you legally change residency.

Thanks Hal_Al--I did not even think of DC--assumed the state of WA.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you much for your reply. Its Washington State.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Answered in the comments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies