turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

calpinr

Im on welfare do i get taxes back

I've been filing and I was never asked why I didn't have any income? I answered correctly, I am on welfare, single mom, no dad, never signed birth certificate unknown where about , I did not work but have a baby  do I qualify or should I quit while I'm here if I get nothing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You get nothing back unless you paid taxes in, or you had earned income and qualify for the EIC. If you did not work, then you paid nothing in, you had no earned income so you don't qualify to get anything back.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You get nothing back unless you paid taxes in, or you had earned income and qualify for the EIC. If you did not work, then you paid nothing in, you had no earned income so you don't qualify to get anything back.
patti2u2

isn't filing tax return when receiving welfare  unlawful

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, it is not unlawful. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I file taxes if I'm on welfare? I don't expect anything back just seen that I won't be able to get the coronavirus stimulus check unless I filed taxes

If you have no income, there's nothing to put on a tax return.    You dont qualify for any stimulus.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Dess120

Hello I am a single Mom and student. I am on the Gain program. I had an Unpaid Internship I worked the whole semester and was not expecting payment however my employer was nice and gave me a check for $800 but he had me sign something. I don't know if that is enough to file? I don't know how any of this works, that was the only form of income I made. I would like to know If I can qualify? My Grants from school are messed up and I am not receiving my grants this semester. I could really use the help. I am wondering how to qualify for any extra assistance at this time. I do the welfare to work. I put in a lot of hours in non profits such as the woman's business center. Who can I call or talk to to get some of my questions answered.

I don't believe people only file to get money back..For instance stimulus check information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies