turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eckertbri

I received unemployment income from NJ. I am a non-resident and that is the only income I received in NJ. Does that get included as state income on NJ Return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I received unemployment income from NJ. I am a non-resident and that is the only income I received in NJ. Does that get included as state income on NJ Return?

Unemployment benefits are not taxable in New Jersey so a return does not have to be filed there.  The filing threshold is $20,000 ($10,000 for married filing separately), but since you will subtract all of the unemployment benefits your income will be zero for New Jersey which will result in zero tax.

Maintain your records should you be questioned at a later date, which is not likely since this is your only income.

For more information you can use this link:  NJ Unemployment Benefits

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Unemployment benefits are not taxable in New Jersey so a return does not have to be filed there.  The filing threshold is $20,000 ($10,000 for married filing separately), but since you will subtract all of the unemployment benefits your income will be zero for New Jersey which will result in zero tax.

Maintain your records should you be questioned at a later date, which is not likely since this is your only income.

For more information you can use this link:  NJ Unemployment Benefits

Myedn91-

Is it no tax till the end of the year?  and how do I change it for the rest of the year

@Myedn91- Your question is not clear.  You added to an old thread and we do not know exactly what you are asking about.   In general----your 2020 income is entered and taxed on your 2020 tax return.    Any income you have received since January 1, 2021 will go on your 2021 tax return that you will prepare in early 2022.

Not sure what you want to change.   If you are asking about changing  how much tax to withhold from unemployment you have to do that on your state's unemployment site.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies