TurboTax seems to be insistent on deducting my Withheld Federal Tax as part of my itemized deductions even though the IRS's instructions on 1040 Schedule A disagree.

The IRS Schedule A instructions on line 5 go into great detail about deducting state and local taxes, but not federal withholdings. The form itself also makes this quite clear:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf
However TurboTax adds my Federal Tax Withheld to the "other income tax" bucket for the purposes of calculating my itemized tax deduction. Is this some sort of mistake? Surely this can't be right.

You are correct that federal taxes withheld should not be included on a Schedule A.

If you are seeing these withheld taxes on your online screen under Deductions and Credits, here is what is happening -

TurboTax shows all your taxes paid (federal and state withholdings, extension payments, and some other payments) under that one screen for "other income tax."  It is sort of a catch all screen that gives you an overview of all your taxes paid - its not directly related to a particular deduction or credit.  So, even though those amounts show under the Deductions and Credits screen, not all will be used for itemized deductions - i.e the federal amounts won't be included in your Schedule A.

Now, if you are actually seeing these taxes included on the physical Schedule A form (My Account > Print Center), then something is wrong and we can do a further analysis if that is the case (respond with a comment), but I highly suspect it is the first option above.