turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax addes Box 12W to HSA contribution CA income; BUT, CA Income Box 16 already accounts for $5700 I put in; how do I back this out, it’s included already?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax addes Box 12W to HSA contribution CA income; BUT, CA Income Box 16 already accounts for $5700 I put in; how do I back this out, it’s included already?

As it turns out, the fact that your employer included the HSA contributions in box 16 doesn't make any difference.

While this number appears on page 1 of form 540 on line 12, in fact, it is never used anywhere on the return.

The CA return starts with federal adjusted gross income (which includes the HSA exclusion), so CA has to back out the exclusion by adding the code W amount (from box 12 on the W-2) to line 1 of form CA(540), so that it can be an addition to CA income on line 16, form 540.

No further adjustment is necessary.

[Edited 4/3/2019 8:53 am CDT]

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As it turns out, the fact that your employer included the HSA contributions in box 16 doesn't make any difference.

While this number appears on page 1 of form 540 on line 12, in fact, it is never used anywhere on the return.

The CA return starts with federal adjusted gross income (which includes the HSA exclusion), so CA has to back out the exclusion by adding the code W amount (from box 12 on the W-2) to line 1 of form CA(540), so that it can be an addition to CA income on line 16, form 540.

No further adjustment is necessary.

[Edited 4/3/2019 8:53 am CDT]

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies