turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kcwood60

Turbo tax gave us the ohio nonrefundable tax credit/grant and ohio denied it???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Which non-refundable Credit?

The total non refundable credits shows on line 33 of the Ohio Schedule of Credits.  The most common credits are:

• -Retirement Income credit (line 2 of the schedule)
  • -Sr citizen credit (line 4)
  • -Day care credit (line 6)
  • -Exemption credit (line 9 )
  • -Joint filing credit (JFC) (line 12 )
  • -Earned Income credit (line 13)

If Ohio Dept. of Taxation (ODT) is denying the JFC; it is usually because both spouses did not have a W-2. You need to send proof that you both had qualifying income. In the "forms mode", look at the Joint Filing Credit Allocation Worksheet (abbreviated Joint Alloc Wks on the list of forms). This is where your net qualifying income is calculated. It shows on line 4. If either of you is less than $500 on line 4, you do not qualify.  ODT will usually accept a copy of this worksheet as  proof that you qualify. You should also include a copy of your 1099-R, if you have retirement income. Social security benefits is NOT qualifying income.

New, starting in 2016, is the 100% Small business Deduction (SBD) (also known as the BID - Business  Income Deduction). If one of the spouses is self employed, all of his/her qualifying income for the Joint Filing Credit (JFC) is wiped out by the SBD. But, you are not required to take the full 100% SBD. So, you can consider reducing the amount of SBD you claim, so that you have at least $500 of earned income to claim the JFC.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Why ?  Did the state send a letter of explanation ?   Do you agree with it ?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Which non-refundable Credit?

The total non refundable credits shows on line 33 of the Ohio Schedule of Credits.  The most common credits are:

If Ohio Dept. of Taxation (ODT) is denying the JFC; it is usually because both spouses did not have a W-2. You need to send proof that you both had qualifying income. In the "forms mode", look at the Joint Filing Credit Allocation Worksheet (abbreviated Joint Alloc Wks on the list of forms). This is where your net qualifying income is calculated. It shows on line 4. If either of you is less than $500 on line 4, you do not qualify.  ODT will usually accept a copy of this worksheet as  proof that you qualify. You should also include a copy of your 1099-R, if you have retirement income. Social security benefits is NOT qualifying income.

New, starting in 2016, is the 100% Small business Deduction (SBD) (also known as the BID - Business  Income Deduction). If one of the spouses is self employed, all of his/her qualifying income for the Joint Filing Credit (JFC) is wiped out by the SBD. But, you are not required to take the full 100% SBD. So, you can consider reducing the amount of SBD you claim, so that you have at least $500 of earned income to claim the JFC.

RBM
Returning Member

Same thing happened to us. This doesn't answer my question.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@RBM  

What does "same thing" mean? The original post never described which credit was being denied by ODT.  The answer only described one of the more common rejections (the Joint Filing Credit). 

For help, you need to ask a more specific question.  Which credit are they denying? 

The most common credits are:

One possibility is that you failed to include all the forms (or ODT lost it). Read the ODT letter carefully. 

Thank you very much! I was wondering why entering my Ohio BID was reducing my refund... but your explanation provided the answer and the solution. I was able to adjust the BID a little lower so that my JFC wasn't being eliminated. You saved me almost $100. I owe you a steak dinner.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies