turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfaga

If I am a resident of NY but go to college full time in NJ and work part time in NJ do I file taxes in just NJ because I did not work in NY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I am a resident of NY but go to college full time in NJ and work part time in NJ do I file taxes in just NJ because I did not work in NY?

No. You need to file both a NY and NJ return. As a resident of NY, you are required to report to the state all of your income, no matter where on the planet that income comes from. Basically, you'll be filing a NJ non-resident return and a NY resident return. It is *IMPORTANT* that you complete the non-resident state return first, and do the resident return last. That way, the program can correctly take into account any reciprocal tax agreements that may exist between all the states involved. In your case, there is such a tax agreement between NJ and NY. So it's vital you complete the NJ non-resident return first, and leave the NY resident return for last.
Also, do not file "ANY" return (including the federal) until after you have completed all returns and are satisfied with the result. For someone in your situation, if you make just one tiny mistake on any one return that later requires you to amend, then chances are high you will be amend all returns, since changes on any one of the returns will most likely affect all the other returns.
mfaga

I would need to delete the state returns and start the NJ return then the NY return?  Right now Turbotax is saying that I have NY tax due of $152 but did not have any NY income?
Carl
Level 15

As a NY resident, it does not matter where your income comes from. You have to report all of your world wide income on your NY state return.
Since you've completed the NY return already, go ahead and do the NJ non-resident return. Then when done with the NJ return, work through the NY state return again, so that the NY program will "Pick up" what it needs from the NJ return and can property apply any credits to your NY tax liability, for the NJ taxes you will pay.
mfaga

Would I would need to delete the state returns and start the NJ return then the NY return?  Right now Turbotax is saying that I have NY tax due of $152 but did not have any NY income?

To get the information to "flow" correctly in the software---Prepare the non-resident state return FIRST, then the resident state in order to get credit for the taxes paid to the other state.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

In this case, upon completing the NJ non-resident return one can just work through the NY state resident return again, without having to delete it and start over. Basically, on that 2nd run-through of the NY return I would expect them to see selections they didn't see the first time, because those "new" selections will be related to having earned income in another, non-resident state.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

ALL your income is subject to NY tax, no matter where you earned it, because you are a NY resident. You get a credit on your NY resident tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to NJ. (It's called the "resident credit" and it's on Form IT-201 line 41.) You might still owe some tax to NY because NY tax rates are higher than NJ.

New York and New Jersey do not have a reciprocal agreement. That's why you have to file tax returns in both states.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies