turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Till 06/16 I am part year MA resident, from 06/16 that I am resident of WA. My wife is full year MA resident. Since WA is a no state tax, can we file joint MA too?

TT has removed my WA income and puts me  my  part year MA residency. MA return has not removed IRA & Roth distributions from income, but this can be removed  manually by override.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Till 06/16 I am part year MA resident, from 06/16 that I am resident of WA. My wife is full year MA resident. Since WA is a no state tax, can we file joint MA too?

No.  Married Taxpayers with Different Tax Years:

If taxpayers are married as of the last day of the year but have a Massachusetts residency tax year that begins and ends on different days, they must file married filing separately assuming each spouse has a requirement to file.

Example: Husband, a Massachusetts resident, and wife, a New Hampshire resident, both work in Massachusetts.  After they were married in June, 2013, the husband moved to New Hampshire to be with his wife. Taxpayers cannot file a joint return because their nonresident tax years are different. The wife lived in New Hampshire the entire year while the husband only lived there for 6 months.

You must file married filing separately on the Massachusetts return.  For more information you can use this link if you like.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

No.  Married Taxpayers with Different Tax Years:

If taxpayers are married as of the last day of the year but have a Massachusetts residency tax year that begins and ends on different days, they must file married filing separately assuming each spouse has a requirement to file.

Example: Husband, a Massachusetts resident, and wife, a New Hampshire resident, both work in Massachusetts.  After they were married in June, 2013, the husband moved to New Hampshire to be with his wife. Taxpayers cannot file a joint return because their nonresident tax years are different. The wife lived in New Hampshire the entire year while the husband only lived there for 6 months.

You must file married filing separately on the Massachusetts return.  For more information you can use this link if you like.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies