Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gomez139

There is a subtraction from income on my Arizona tax return related to Federally Taxable Arizona Municipal Interest. How do I find out how the amount was calculated?

All of my municipal interest (tax-exempt) was not included in Federal AGI.  This adjustment doesn't make any sense.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

There is a subtraction from income on my Arizona tax return related to Federally Taxable Arizona Municipal Interest. How do I find out how the amount was calculated?

This is the subtraction (page 14 of the AZ Instructions:(

C. Federally Taxable Arizona Municipal Interest as Evidenced by Bonds

Include the amount of any interest income received on
obligations of the State of Arizona, or any political subdivisions
of Arizona, as evidenced by bonds, and is included in your
Arizona gross income. Do not enter any Arizona municipal
interest that is exempt from federal taxation and not included in
your federal adjusted gross income.

"All of my municipal interest (tax-exempt) was not included in Federal AGI. " - do you mean that none of your municipal interest was in the Federal AGI? Was this interest from Arizona or elsewhere?

"This adjustment doesn't make any sense." - what doesn't make sense about it? Arizona does not tax interest from Arizona state or local subdivisions; however, frequently bonds from Arizona municipalities are tax-free at the federal level, so it makes no sense to deduct them again in Arizona when they aren't in federal income anyway.

Make sense? Or are you asking where the number listed under Subtractions came from?

If you are using the CD/download software, you can use Forms mode to look at the worksheets under Arizona to find the worksheet that describes where this subtraction comes from.

If you are using the Online product, you will not be able to see the worksheets until you pay for the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gomez139

None of my municipal interest was in Federal AGI.  That's why it didn't make sense that TurboTax subtracted interest on my Arizona return that wasn't in the starting Federal AGI number.

The municipal interest was both Arizona and non-Arizona.  I identified the amount of non-Arizona muni interest and that was added into my Arizona AGI -- which makes total sense.

I must have answered something incorrectly to have Turbo-Tax put in that Arizona subtraction but I couldn't figure out where.  So I just over-rode the number on the form and changed it to $0 and the Arizona return came out just as I expected.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  It confirms what I did.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies