turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lablover

Did not itemize deductions for Federal but did for state of Wisconsin. WI requires a copy of the Schedule A but I cannot find it? Used TT Deluxe. Help??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Did not itemize deductions for Federal but did for state of Wisconsin. WI requires a copy of the Schedule A but I cannot find it? Used TT Deluxe. Help??

If you are looking for your federal Schedule A, you would not have one if you took the standard federal deduction. 

Schedule A reports itemized deductions. There is not similar form for Wisconsin because it appears as a credit.

lablover

How do I address this request in the Wisconsin tax form completion information?  The TuboTax software did not give me any option to not file how I did.  "If you did not itemize deductions for federal tax purposes, use the amounts which would be deductible if you had itemized deductions. To determine the amounts to use, complete a federal Schedule A. Write “Wisconsin” at the top of this Schedule A and
enclose it with your Form 1."
lablover

Am I a great risk of an audit since the software did not include a Schedule A?

No. In order to claim the state itemized deductions, you need to enter your itemized deductions in the Federal portion of your tax return. The program will give you the standard deduction if higher for your federal return and it will allow you to have these numbers for your WI tax return.
You are not at risk for audit because WI explicitly allows you to take the federal standard deduction and the itemized state credit.
lablover

Thank you.  But why does WI ask for the Federal Schedule A form then?  I'm am concerned they are going to ask where I got those numbers from for my WI schedule 1, line 3 form.  "3 Gifts to charity from line 14 of federal Schedule A."

They are asking because you may have filed the Schedule A. Most taxpayers do the same for both.
You wouldn't be making the claim if you didn't have the supporting documentation for your claim.
lablover

Their instructions seem to imply they know one was not filed and yet still ask for it?   "If you did not itemize deductions for federal tax purposes, use the amounts which would be deductible if you had itemized deductions. To determine the amounts to use, complete a federal Schedule A. Write “Wisconsin” at the top of this Schedule A and enclose it with your Form 1."
lablover

Sorry to bother, I just want to be sure it's correct.

Then you need to "prepare" as I directed in an earlier comment. You need to return to the Federal portion of your tax return, Deductions & Credits, and enter your deductions. You can then go to the Tax Tools, Print Center, which should have the amounts you included. If this doesn't work, you can always print this pdf and hand write your entries: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sa--2018.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sa--2018...>
lablover

I'm sorry, I cannot find your ealier comment about preparing?  I did enter all that deduction information previously as the software instructed.  That's when the software instructed me to use the federal standard deduction as it was more than itemized.  I was able to navigate to the print center but I still cannot find the federal schedule A that was used to determine the data for my state form?  My 2018 WI state taxes have already been efiled by TurboTax, how would I get the .pdf you linked to them to attach to my efiling?  Thank you for your help.

As you described what WI is requesting, it would be a printed and mailed document. There is no way to print a federal Schedule A, write Wisconsin across the top and attach to an e-filed tax return, especially if you have already filed. You would have to be mailing the form. If so, the pdf I linked can used.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies