turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the total sales tax rate for Washington?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

The Washington (WA) state sales tax rate is currently 6.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 10.4%.

about 8.87 percent — a 6.5 percent state tax plus an average 2.37 percent local tax rate.  Washington State

5.75% for Washington D.C. just in case you meant there....

You can use this link to get a more accurate sales tax rate for each state, locality by zip code: http://salestax.avalara.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLrLqJ-Q2QIVVCSBCh0BWgslEAAYASAAEgJcMvD_BwE&CampaignI...

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

The Washington (WA) state sales tax rate is currently 6.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 10.4%.

about 8.87 percent — a 6.5 percent state tax plus an average 2.37 percent local tax rate.  Washington State

5.75% for Washington D.C. just in case you meant there....

You can use this link to get a more accurate sales tax rate for each state, locality by zip code: http://salestax.avalara.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLrLqJ-Q2QIVVCSBCh0BWgslEAAYASAAEgJcMvD_BwE&CampaignI...

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

The IRS uses specific rates for your particular zip code to arrive at your total sales tax rate.    The local sales tax rates (such as city sales tax) can vary from town to town, and occasionally there are additional special local sales tax districts.

You can use the tool at the IRS website to get the specific total sales tax rate for your zip code (state and local sales tax rates)..   If you wish, it will actually calculate your sales tax deduction as well, which you can compare to TurboTax.

Or if you just want to quickly get to the last screen to see the sales tax rates, you can just enter estimated or test values into the tool.  It IS important that you enter the correct zip code, however.

When you go through the short interview, on the last page it will tell you your state sales tax rate and your local sales tax rate, which you can add to get your total sales tax rate.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/sales-tax-deduction-calculator
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies