Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yj_h23056

TT VA instructs to Mail to Richmond, VA with check made out to county commissioner; but Co. Comm. just informed me to make check out to VA Dept. of Tax: Which is correct?

Write check to VA Dept of Taxation sending with return or as instructed with return but make check out to Treasurer "X" County?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TT VA instructs to Mail to Richmond, VA with check made out to county commissioner; but Co. Comm. just informed me to make check out to VA Dept. of Tax: Which is correct?

The Virginia instructions are a bit confusing.  But it all depends on where you want to mail your return to.

MY TAKE:  If you are mailing to a County or City make your check payable to the Treasurer or Director of Finance of that county/city.  If you choose to mail to the Department of Taxation (bottom of their page 50) make the check payable to the Department of Taxation.

(The county and city locations start on page 55 and 56 (their page 49 and 50) at the link below.  The Commissioner of Revenue addresses are at the bottom of the county and city locations.)

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/tax.virginia.gov/files/instructions/income-tax/2016/760-2016-instr...  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The Virginia instructions are a bit confusing.  But it all depends on where you want to mail your return to.

MY TAKE:  If you are mailing to a County or City make your check payable to the Treasurer or Director of Finance of that county/city.  If you choose to mail to the Department of Taxation (bottom of their page 50) make the check payable to the Department of Taxation.

(The county and city locations start on page 55 and 56 (their page 49 and 50) at the link below.  The Commissioner of Revenue addresses are at the bottom of the county and city locations.)

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/tax.virginia.gov/files/instructions/income-tax/2016/760-2016-instr...  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies