Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's been asked before but I am a resident of Ohio, but worked in Virginia for couple of months as an intern. When filing which option do I pick?

As far as I understand, I have to file a non-resident return for Virginia first. However, when I start my Virginia return it has 3 options under the question "what was your state of residence in 2017?". And the options are "Just Virginia", "I had more than one state of residence", and "I made money in Virginia last year, but I never lived there". Looks like the 3rd option is closest to mine, but it says "I never lived there", which is not true because I lived there for couple of months as an intern. Which option do I pick?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's been asked before but I am a resident of Ohio, but worked in Virginia for couple of months as an intern. When filing which option do I pick?

The third option is correct.  The reason why you never "lived" in Virginia is because you were an intern.  An internship, like a college student, is considered a temporary absence from your actual state of residence, which means that you stayed there, but did not live there.  You file a Virginia return as a nonresident, and then you will file an Ohio resident return.  Ohio will give you a credit for the tax you pay to Virginia on the income you earned in Virginia, as Ohio otherwise taxes all of your income regardless of where you earned it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The third option is correct.  The reason why you never "lived" in Virginia is because you were an intern.  An internship, like a college student, is considered a temporary absence from your actual state of residence, which means that you stayed there, but did not live there.  You file a Virginia return as a nonresident, and then you will file an Ohio resident return.  Ohio will give you a credit for the tax you pay to Virginia on the income you earned in Virginia, as Ohio otherwise taxes all of your income regardless of where you earned it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies