Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked with a company in Texas but worked in Illinois but live in Louisiana and they held out Louisiana state Taxes how do i file this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DexterS

I worked with a company in Texas but worked in Illinois but live in Louisiana and they held out Louisiana state Taxes how do i file this

If you live in one state and work in another, the state where you worked will expect you to file a "Non-resident" tax return and pay tax on the money you earned there.  Your state of residence will tax you on your world-wide income and give you a credit for taxes paid elsewhere.

You should complete your non-resident state return before you do your resident state return so that the credit flows correctly to your resident state return.

The state that the company is in does not have state income tax. They held out taxes for the state I live in.
DexterS

States don't care where the company is headquartered they care about where the work was done.  You need to file an IL Non-resident tax return, report and pay tax on the income you earned in IL.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies