turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dawn634

On my Iowa state form it asks for my Fed Income tax withheld from 2016. Is that the amount on my w-2 from 2016? And why do they need that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

On my Iowa state form it asks for my Fed Income tax withheld from 2016. Is that the amount on my w-2 from 2016? And why do they need that?

Yes, you are correct.  It would be the amount in box 2 of your 2016 w-2.  The reason why Iowa needs this information is because they provide a deduction for your Federal taxes on the state return.  Thus, when you get a refund, that refund is potentially taxable in Iowa.  TurboTax needs this information in order to correctly calculate your Iowa taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dawn634

So it is the same because it says Fed income tax after non-refundable credits?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That line is asking for different information.  Tax withheld was what was on your w-2.  This question deals with how much tax you were REQUIRED to pay.  In 2016, did you file Form 1040EZ (simplest), 1040A ("short"), or 1040 ("long") form?
dawn634

1040EZ
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The information you need for this question is on line 6 of Form 1040EZ.  The other question is box 2 of your 2016 W-2
dawn634

Is that the same line I would find the fed income tax after non refundable credits?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, line 6 from your 2016 1040EZ
dawn634

ok something does not seem right my refund went from 63.00 to 429.00 for state.I think i am reading something wrong
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, I can't see your screen.  Make sure you don't have the numbers transposed (having the line 6 1040EZ info where the W-2 box 2 info should go).  Also make sure that you have have not put in information from one of the other boxes (such as box 1 of your w2).  But if your inputting is correct, then your result should also be correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies