turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t42jpe5
Returning Member

I live and work in DE but all my banking is in NJ. I filed my state income tax for DE. Do I have to report my bank and savings accounts interest to NJ too?

I never changed the address on my NJ bank accounts so they still come to my parents' home. Did I do everything right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live and work in DE but all my banking is in NJ. I filed my state income tax for DE. Do I have to report my bank and savings accounts interest to NJ too?

No, it will not be necessary to file a NJ return.  You do want to change the address with the bank, but the fact is that you are a Delaware resident.  Since none of your income is generated in New Jersey, your interest income is not going to be taxable there, either.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
t42jpe5
Returning Member

Why do I need to change the address for my bank accounts? I feel safer having my bank account info. delivered to my parents NJ home.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That's up to you also.  My answer is based on tax advice only.  If you have other reasons for not changing it, you have that right.  It still is not income to New Jersey.
t42jpe5
Returning Member

Your info. has been very helpful. Thanks DanielV.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, it will not be necessary to file a NJ return.  You do want to change the address with the bank, but the fact is that you are a Delaware resident.  Since none of your income is generated in New Jersey, your interest income is not going to be taxable there, either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies