turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taylo575

Do I file state taxes if unemployed with residency in a different state than my husband?

My husband is active duty.  His residency is TX (no state taxes).  My residency is SC (state taxes).  I do not work and had $0 income last year.  We own a home together in SC.  Turbo Tax keeps taking me through the steps to file SC state taxes but we have zero income from SC.  Do I still have to file SC taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I file state taxes if unemployed with residency in a different state than my husband?

If the military person does not have an off-duty civilian job in SC...then no SC tax return would be required for your situation.  You should be able to go back to the beginning of the sate section and delete the entire SC tax forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If the military person does not have an off-duty civilian job in SC...then no SC tax return would be required for your situation.  You should be able to go back to the beginning of the sate section and delete the entire SC tax forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
taylo575

Thank you! 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies